August 10, 2017
Prior to the 11th Sarawak State Elections in 2016, we launched “Jom Jadi PACA!”, an initiative to aggressively recruit PACA volunteers. Polling Agent/Counting Agent (PACA) training has been one of ROSE’s core activities from Day One. PACAs safeguard the secrecy of votes, make sure that each and every vote is accounted for, and that all proceedings complies with election regulations.
In the run-up to the elections, we conducted 20 PACA trainings in Kuching, Sibu, Miri, Lawas and KL and coordinated the deployment of PACAs to selected marginal constituencies. To further widen our reach, we also conducted training of trainers (TOT) sessions to empower local ROSE volunteers to become trainers in their own right.
Gabrielle, a brand-new ROSE volunteer got an exclusive, front-line view of the electoral process. She says “ I am 22, and had just came back from studying. I have never voted before and was not in time to register to vote. So, when I heard about PACA training, I thought if I am not able to vote, why not serve? Learning a bit of everything and gaining the experience is what matters to me most. PACA training conducted by ROSE for me was like voter education; everything I learned is an eye-opener.
I had a pretty smooth and uneventful first-time experience during the Sarawak State Elections. I am hoping that in the coming GE14, I will be able to take on and face more challenging scenarios when I get to serve again.”
What else have we been up to in the past 18 months?
- “Siapa Tok? ADUN 2016” – a voter education social media experiment in the run-up to the 11th Sarawak State Elections. 24 candidates across the political divide responded with their plans and vision for their proposed tenure as ADUNs
- Monthly voter registration drives since January 2017
- “Rural Voters Registration” project at targeted rural constituencies
- “Projek Rumah Baru” – a civic education module targeted at young adults and students. 5 sessions conducted.
ROSE is funded entirely through the generosity of private citizens and supporters. We could not have done all that we did without your contributions and donations! Our deepest gratitude to all of you for your support.
In the coming 14th General Elections, we need 300 PACAs to be in the frontlines or salurans for each parliamentary constituency to safeguard the votes of every eligible Malaysian voter.
Needless to say, their presence is more crucial in marginal constituencies. There are eight (8) such constituencies in Sarawak.
You can help ROSE achieve our vision of empowered citizens for a better Malaysia by donating to help fulfil our wishlist (as listed below). No contribution is too big or too small.
- PACA training expenses (RM400 per session), and mobilization of PACA volunteers for the 14th General Elections; training, logistics and deployment of PACAs to selected semi-rural marginal constituencies (estimated RM10,000)
- Production of a Voter Education animated video (RM5,000)
To make your contributions kindly bank-in or transfer to our Public Bank Berhad Account with details as follows:
Account Name: ROSE NETWORK PLT
Account Number: 3-1987692-03
Overseas donors may choose to make a contribution through our PayPal account at Rose Network PLT
Once done, please send an email with an attached copy of your bank-in slip/cheque to firstname.lastname@example.org (kindly inform us through whom did you receive our Letter of Appeal)
Ask not what your country can do for you but instead “What Can We Do Together?
Join us in transforming Ibu Pertiwiku today!
If Not Now, Then When? If Not You, Then Who?
Sincere thanks from all of us at ROSE,